Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Swimming in the Dam at Singing Brook Farm


The dam is freezing cold because the water comes from the top of the mountains--or hills as they call them here. It is not like a pool. But the swimming is awesome. I can pick up rocks. I see small fish. I see tadpoles then frogs.

The dam is noisy. But not with city noise. I hear rushing water from the brook coming into the dam and the small waterfall of water going over the rocks. It is like a pond or lake. I hear lots of toads. I hear the wind shaking the leaves of the trees. I hear birds. I hear crickets.

And I hear my dog Truffle.

When I jump into the water, my dog Truffle gets scared. She shivers. She whimpers. Then she jumps into the water and swims after me. I'm on my inner tube and she jumps onto it and I fall into the cold water laughing.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! Reminds me of my Uncles farm in CT, icy water from the mountains, piped all over the farm and freezing on the warmest day. Great photos, poor Truffle looks cold still!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,

    It's a great blog

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, you write so vividly about your adventures in swimming I almost felt as though I was in that ice cold water myself! In fact, I'm freezing right now and think I should turn down the air conditioner. Truffle looks like the kind of friend who is true blue enough to follow you into freezing water!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michael - this is a wonderful post - your Aunt Tinky is very lucky to have a sush a super nephew! With love all the way from Scotland, Anne

    ReplyDelete